Government declares Bir Tibetan Colony a “Protected Area”

For those who haven’t heard the news: The Government of India has recently classified the Bir Tibetan Colony as a “protected area.” Unfortunately, this means any foreigners wishing to visit the Bir Tibetan Colony for any reason must now obtain a Protected Area Permit (PAP) before arriving.

You can apply for the PAP in one of three ways:

  1. When you apply for your India visa
  2. At the Ministry of Home in New Delhi
  3. At the Foreigner’s Regional Registration Office in Dharamshala

Note that the PAP is needed only for the Bir Tibetan Colony in Chowgan, not for Bir proper (“Upper Bir”) or surrounding areas.